ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index
ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index
ATK Rider's Forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dellorto slide fixes?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobATK94

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:08 am    Post subject: dellorto slide fixes? Reply with quote

so has anyone ever come up with a way to fix the carb slide once it gets the dent from the idle screw? was thinking about getting a new carb, the one with the adjustment screws on the right side. but i know eventually i will still have to deal with the dent problem, even if i got a new slide for the old carb. i have epoxied the old slide with the dent in it, just as a filler. but i know this is only a temporary fix. so what are you guys doing to cure the problem? is there a cure or is this just something i will have to live with?
Rot Box

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering the same thing. Mine is dented so bad it barely idles.... I've been debating buying a new slide but not sure where to find one Laughing
Rotax504

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any number of places to get a new slide, none cheap though. I'd start with Herdan Corp. in PA: http://www.herdan.com/dellorto/slides/

The best way to avoid making the "dent" in the first place is to open the throttle slightly before turning the idle screw in.
Duggr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not wanting to spend the $50.00 plus shipping for a new 50-1 slide for my 605 carb. (already had $100.00 in it) I come up with a different idea to try and fix the damage inflicted on the slide by the overly stiff spring and Idle screw..What I did was drilled a hole into the slide and with a Tap, I threaded and counter sunk the Hole so the screw would sink into the slide base a little..Then finished with some filing and sanding...
This is a "do it right the first time" or buy a new slide if you screw up! As you see buy the photos I countersunk the hole a little to deep and left a slight Pit in the center of the screw after the sanding and filing was done....The pit looks bigger than it actually is and is maybe .001 deep....I used a small steel Allen head screw
and put red loctite on it so it's there permanently....I think it took me around two hours to do it......Should last now that the idle screw is now contacting Steel instead of aluminum..

Before

After

bradmond

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, I'll have to remember this when mine needs it. Thanks
Rot Box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work and thanks for the idea. I'm going to give it a try soon Cool
RobATK94

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome idea! and tomorrow is my day off, guess what i will be doing.
Duggr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's to those for the ATK forum that allows us to share our idea's with each other......Glad to help!
Duggr
Duggr

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went on a test run today since fixing the slide on the 605...First thing I noticed is that I didnt have to keep feathering the throttle as long to keep the bike idling before I took off...Even thought I didnt think the wear on my slide was too deep to make a difference in Idling, I noticed after the fix there was a difference! Time will tell if using the steel screw will be more durable than the "Original Slide" was! I'm guessing it will be....Anyway! It was worth the time taken to fix it...It would have saved me some frustration though If I would have done it as soon as I noticed the Problem while rebuilding the dellorto ...I realize now that angle of the slide and the taper of the idle screw are very important in having a well tuned 605....
Duggr
New605guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the primary cause of the dent in the carb slide is NOT...adjusting the screw with the throttle closed..., it's that the throttle return spring is too strong. Each and every time that throttle is snapped closed the slide slams down on the idle screw, over time creating the wear mark. So, besides having to fix or replace my slide, and assuming my theory is correct, has anyone found a replacement or fix to the overly-strong return spring?
Duggr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My throttle needs a little help shutting down with the stick spring...Dont
Think I would chance a weaker one!
ZuminaZX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slick fix!
atkrider
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the creative thinking; however, a word of caution; if the head breaks of the screw from metal fatigue (slamming shut), or if a part comes loose and gets sucked into the cylinder it could be expensive. I wonder if a brass screw like the idle adjustment would be less likely to break.

Years ago Donnie Griewe gave me a spring for the carb that does not have as much tension; I suspect that they are still around.
Rotax504

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are actually three different spring strengths for the PHF and PHM Dellortos.

- "weak", .7 kg/1.54 lb., part no. 8550
- "medium", 1.1 kg/2.42 lbs., part no. 8532
- "strong", 1.4 kg/3.08 lbs., part no. 9389

There are also "normal" and "heavy" slides. KTM seems to have favored the "heavy" slides for some reason.

I'd check with Herdan Corp.: http://www.herdan.com/ for the springs. I've also sourced Dellorto carbs and parts from Eurocarb, Ltd. in the UK: http://www.dellorto.com/default.asp when I couldn't get what I wanted here.

Edit: Here's a supplier with all three springs: http://guzzino.com/thspphfphm30.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index -> Motorcycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: