ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index
ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index
ATK Rider's Forum

GarageGarage   1/4 Mile Table1/4 Mile Table   FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bike won't hold idle. 1990 406 2S Rotax Mikuni flat slide

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hidesertbomber

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Bike won't hold idle. 1990 406 2S Rotax Mikuni flat slide Reply with quote

Hey motoheads!

I'm trying to figure out how to make the wife's bike idle properly. Here is the report.

Starts up 1 kick but I have to feather the throttle to keep it going.
Adjusting the idle knob has no effect.
Turning in or out on the mixture screw has no effect.
After looking at the carb last night it looked to be really wet (fuel) inside.
The carb was cleaned back in December by my brother-in-law. It was his bike since new in 1990 so I assume he knows what he's doing.

As far as I can tell, there are no leaks on the head side of the carb but I need to do the "ether" test. She runs great and since I don't stop much it's not that big of a deal for me but, the wife is riding my KTM and I miss it. The ATK sure is fun though!

Any help or hints are appreciated.

Catfish, I thought about asking you directly about this since you seem to be the Rotax guru but I decided this may be good information for others with older 406's.
ineedit

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pull the slide out and look where it contacts the idle adjust screw. If there is wear, it might not be lifting the slide high enough. Its also possible your too rich on the pilot jet. Dan
Catfish

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same TMX 38mm our lq's have? pilotless carbs. If so check that it has te correct needle or it won't idle.
Seems Like I remember changing the needle on my old 250AC and it was not the pilotless.
Check the reeds for fit and wear and cracks. Maybe its not sealing off under low RPM?
All that would be left I can think of is a good carb cleaning to make sure theres not trash in the jet itself.
Good Luck
Terry
BTW I'm no guru Smile just experienced a little and know who to talk to track down what works where. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ATK Rider's Forum Forum Index -> Motorcycles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: